by Brianne Luginbill
For this crochet project, you will need to know one basic crochet knot - the single crochet. If you aren’t sure how to do this or need more detailed instructions, look at this video first before continuing on. The stitch is shown slowly with a close up on the crafter's hands. Once you have this down or if you already do, continue onto the instructions below and start your mug cozie. Have fun crocheting!
1. Loop the end of your string over the string still attached to the ball of yarn.
2. Make a second loop with your string and pull it through the first loop.
3. Now you have a slip knot - the beginning to every crochet project.
4. Insert slip knot over crochet hook. Then, pull string from back of crochet hook to the front and rest on hook. Pull hook end of the crochet with string through the slip knot. You have just made a chain.
5. Chain 8
6. In the first chain, do a single crochet. Repeat this throughout all 8 chains. You now have the first single crochet line to your mug cozy.
7. Next, flip your project over and start to single crochet back the other way in each of the 8 slots. Now you have crocheted 2 lines.
8. Keep crocheting single crochets back and forth. You can check the length of your mug cozy by wrapping it around the mug you wish to use it on. Once, you have the correct length cozy, tie off your string, but leave a good six inches of loose string at the end of the knot.
9. Then, you will weave this knot through each end of the material to make it into a secure cozy.
Now you have a crochet cozie! It’s great to use with to-go/travel coffee mugs. It keeps your coffee warm, but your fingers cool.